I don’t know about you, but many of my recipes are born out of necessity, due to lack of planning or sometimes simply the need to use up what we already have on hand before buying new items. This recipe is one of those.
I had grilled chicken and spinach sitting in the refrigerator that needed to be used up, and I also had not made a weekly trip to the grocery store, so I got creative in the kitchen. The family loved these and we will be adding them to our regular Family List of Favorite Foods. I hope you enjoy them, too!
- 1 package English muffins
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus some to drizzle
- a handful of spinach, torn into small pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- basil or basil paste, 1.5 tbsp.
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 cup diced grilled chicken
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice English muffins in half and place, cut side up, on a large cookie sheet.
- Mix together 1/2 c. olive oil, garlic, basil, pepper, and salt.
- Using a basting brush, 'paint' the olive oil mixture onto each half of the English muffin.
- Divide chicken pieces evenly amongst the English muffin halves, and add a few pieces of spinach on top.
- Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and add about 1/2 tsp. of cheese at this time, if using it.
- Place in oven and bake for about 7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and spinach is slightly wilted.
Create a refreshing and colorful meal by serving these alongside a slice of beautiful, ripe watermelon!