Marquis de Lafayette
- Was born as an Aristocrat on September 6, 1757, in Chavaniac, France.
- His father died when he was just 2 in the 7 years’ war.
- His mother died when he was just 13-years-old.
- He was raised by his paternal grandmother.
Some Marquis de Lafayette Facts
- A Revolutionist, French soldier, and statesman.
- Left his own country to fight for the American Revolution. He believed in the cause of American’s separating from Brittan, not only for the United States, but for the interest of the French. He also had great influence on Washington and the gradual emancipation of slaves.
- Would serve as a Major General, at age 19, under General George Washington in the American Revolutionary War.
- On July 31, 1777, 19-year-old Layfayette accepted a commission in the Continental Army WITHOUT pay.
- Was friends with Ben Franklin.
- A leader of the Garde nationale during the French Revolution.
- Married Adrienne de Noailles.
- Named his first son George Washington Layfayette.
- Died May 20, 1834.
Find other famous birthday’s at the iHomeschool Network blog hop!