Recently, my husband decided to purchase fresh dates because he remembered enjoying them at his grandmother’s house as a child, and thought he would like to try them again. It turns out that he isn’t really a fan of fresh dates on their own. I promised that I would do something with them so we could still enjoy them and they wouldn’t go to waste. This DAIRY-FREE Raisin-Date Walnut Breakfast Bread is what I came up with!
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup diced, fresh dates
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp. + 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-2 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 cup melted non-dairy spread (such as Earth Balance) or coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups almond or rice milk
- coconut oil (to grease loaf pans)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add all dry ingredients to large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add raisins and dates and stir to coat.
- Add all other ingredients. Mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between two greased loaf pans.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.