Over the course of the last couple of years, my husband and I have been working really hard to disciple our children. We are not ‘there’ yet. We do have many improvements we still need to make, but we continue to strive to teach them God’s ways, live as an example of His love, and to apologize and ask for their forgiveness when we do mess up. (and believe me, we do!) That is why, when presented with the opportunity to review Learning to Speak Life™ Fruit of the Spirit , written by Michael and Carlie Kercheval, I gladly said yes!
Fruit of the Spirit is the first book in the Learning to Speak Life™ family bible study series. Carlie and her husband, Michael, are eager to bring families together to learn how to speak God’s life-giving Word with and to one another each day.
How Learning to Speak Life will benefit your family
- Written for children ages 3 to 9
- Covers the 9 fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control
- Divided into sections according to each fruit
- Each section contains scripture, discusses what the fruit is or means, confessions to speak daily, copywork for children 7 and over as well as those who are 6 and under, role play scenarios, silly sayings, a short story, family discussion, a family project, a prayer to pray, and a ‘digging deeper’ section for further study.
How this study works with multiple ages
I have five children from 3 to 15. We have used various devotionals and studies over the years. We have been able to pull some great ‘nuggets’ out of them, but none have really been perfect for ALL of our kids. This study seems like it could be. Though our oldest two children are above the recommended age range, I feel they can still benefit from doing the study along with the rest of the family. Here are a few reasons I feel that way:
- It provides a great review for them of concepts they may have learned previously. Don’t you always learn something new, even from Scriptures you’ve read or been taught from before?
- We are learning as a family, so our older children can be a part of ‘teaching’ the younger children with this study.
- The younger children, through the various copy work and confessions to speak each day, have a chance to get God’s word down deep into their hearts and to speak His truth daily, therefore coming to know and believe His truth at a very young age.
- The action that is included through the Role play sections gives young children a chance to get up and moving. It is also fun and engaging for the entire family.
- This study helps make God’s word applicable even to those at the youngest end of the spectrum. There is something for everyone, and I love that!
Learning to Speak Life gives us a chance to do just that. Speak life. We are able to spend time together, speaking life into one another and ourselves, with the truth God has provided for us. I’m excited to continue with this study and see the fruit that we bear as a family due to the new life we are learning to speak each day!