Is It Possible to Be a Single Parent and Homeschool?

Is It Possible to Be a Single Parent and Homeschool

There is a lot I can say about this topic so I think I will make it into parts and this will be part one!

I often get stunned looks when I say that I am a single mom as well as a homeschooler.  I realize that in today’s times, those are two things that are both hard to deal with, let alone when they are combined with each other.  I was a full-time mom and housewife for about ten years before getting a divorce.  I have three children under eight and it was hard to try to send them to school and for me to start my own life.  I decided with God’s guiding hand that I would continue being who I was, because that is what God wanted me to be.  I did not want my change of relationship status to determine who I was.  Now I will say that it has not been the easiest journey, but it has been the most rewarding.

Struggles! There are so many that my kids and I had to go through.  We had a pretty good life in the finance department when I was married, so losing that was a big blow to us all.  We were all used to things and not worrying on how to get what we needed.  I guess in a way I am lucky my kids were young, because I was able to remold them in a sort of way.  We learned what we could go without and what we couldn’t.  No more eating out, cable, expensive clothes, and such.

The first thing we ditched was cable and that also meant that we had no channels whatsoever.  We could have gotten a set of rabbit ears and a converter box, but those were two sets of money that we decided we would rather spend someplace else.

We moved to a very remote town that is more boring than sitting in a seminar for something you care less about and just went to get something free :).  Rent here is crazy cheap so we make it work.  We all practice saving energy in the home so our electric bill is not expensive, and our water and trash is covered in our rent.

The kids no longer beg for meaningless toys like they used to.  Sure, we have some here and there that they think they have to have, but all in all they will pick the educational ones that will fit in with a homeschool curricula.  They also find more fun in science projects than in toys anyway.  Then we have the great outdoors to explore and rocks and dirt to play with.

Until next time!

Comments

1. Chantel says

Thank you for posting this series! I am struggling with my decision to homeschool my daughter as a single mom. I am getting a lot of criticism from other single moms. I truly believe God guided me to this blog to help me with the journey my daughter and I are about to embark upon. Thank you and God bless!

2. Jenn says

I have been a single mom for the past 10 years and have been homeschooling my daughter for the past 5. It’s nice to know that there are others out there that share the same feeling on homeschooling. Regardless of whether a parent is single or not I think that homeschooling can definitely be done.

There are ways to make money from home (blogging, selling crafts on Etsy, EBay, or becoming an independent salesperson for different companies like Advocare, Avon, etc.). And I think that when people are completely honest with themselves, they can give up far more than they think. Like you, I gave up a lot (including a cell phone for 4 years). We don’t eat out, we grow most of our own vegetables and fruits, we keep our light bill to a minimum by putting on a sweatshirt before resorting to turning on the heater, we buy our clothes at second hand shops, we only go to town when we need to to save on gas (I live in a very rural area), etc etc. I even went back to school so that I can get my education right along side my daughter, and the financial aid helps to support us. I got quite a bit of slack from friends and family when I started homeschooling, but they’ve all backed off now that they can see how she has blossomed by learning at home.

My daughter attends a homeschooling program near us that helps provide her with the necessary socialization skills that she needs, and out of the 200 families that attend this program I am the only single mom. Too bad there aren’t more single moms that even consider homeschooling.

3. Crystal L Jones says

This is information is very important to me! I have been considering it greatly! I have been praying to GOD on this very subject. I don’t like public schools. Too much time spent away from me and it they aren’t teaching bible or GOD!

4. says

I’m also a single momma bear homeschooling. ‘It ain’t easy’. I feel “lead” to homeschool. I work full time a we have lessons in the morning and evenings and weekends. My kiddos spend their days with Nana and between sports, clubs, and day-care we make it work. We live in the Bahamas and homeschooling is not too popular here, so I receive many, many strange looks and speeches on how I’m doing my kids a disservice. I plan on quitting my job and staying home and offering home daycare for one or two little ones to make ends meat. That way I can continue to homeschool and make the money we so desperately need. I’m worried and scared a lot of the time and I’m so glad to hear of others out there doing the same things as myself. Good Luck!

5. says

I am a single wahm who home schools. I got a lot of “flack” from my family and friends when I started! Thank God for the internet and being able to find other single Moms like myself who are doing it! I write a blog about my experience…it keeps me sane. You can check it out at wondermominc.com
    Sarah recently posted..Our First Solar-Powered GadgetMy Profile

6. Debbie C. says

Hi, I’m Debbie, single mom of 2-one still being homeschooled (9th grade this year!) and 1 homeschool graduate! My husband died 8 1/2 years ago-we were in our 1st year of homeschooling and I refused to give up our plan just because things changed! God is faithful and will carry you through.

Yes, single parent homeschooling is tough, but the rewards far outweigh the struggles! My daughter is blossoming in our community college and getting ready to head off to a university next Fall.

If God calls you to homeschool, then He will see you through it! He knows all of the struggles and worries and wants us to give them back to Him to carry for us.

Hang in there mamas! You will be blessed beyond measure!

Debbie

7. Natalie says

I am taking that step to homeschool my children. It is a big step and I am sure I’ll be receiving a lot of backlash from families but I attend a wonderful church and I’ll be talking to my leaders about how to go about it.