Taco Chicken Pie Recipe
If you are anything like me, if you do not have a meal plan that has tasty recipes laid out for you, you may find yourself turning to fast food restaurants for dinner…which in my house is a big no no. However, on those days that we are looking to have a treat, we still have some easy recipes that are a departure from our usual gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan meals. We are not strict vegetarians but prefer to eat mostly vegetarian meals. We eat mostly gluten-free as our youngest son has a very high allergy to wheat. The combination of these two things can make meal planning difficult if not fully prepared.
I want to share with you a departure from our usual – a very tasty eMeals recipe that we see as a treat: Taco Chicken Pie! This recipe is so delicious and never disappoints. I also want to mention that sometimes when we make this, we’ll opt to put a pie crust on top as well, sealing it in more like a chicken pot pie. But we’ve made it both ways, with and without and either way it’s delicious!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 med apple (1 cup diced)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted soy-free butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 cup sugar (topping)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, dice apple. Feel free to peel the apple or leave it on, however you prefer.
- Sift flours, oats, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add diced apple and mix gently until coated.
- Beat eggs, then add melted butter and 1 cup of almond or rice milk. Mix gently.
- Using your butter or coconut oil, lightly coat your muffin tins.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and sprinkle 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon sugar mixture onto the muffin mixture in each cup.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted n center comes out clean and the tops are golden brown.
If you want to find some other simple family recipes head on over the Simple Family Dinner Blog Hop!